Irreconcilable Differences: A Solution-Focused Approach to Marital Therapy
Leslie is angry with her husband, Bill, for working long hours and neglecting her and the children. Bill is struggling to support his family and believes Leslie doesn't appreciate or trust him. Insoo Kim Berg uses techniques to focus this fiery and argumentative couple on solutions, and bring their mutual commitment to the relationship and family to the forefront.
(what's this?) 6.0 CREDITS
Required: watch video (sold separately) and read downloadable chapter
Your subscription is currently suspended due to an expired or invalid credit card. Please visit your account and update your credit card info.
This stream was successfully added to your library!
This stream is already in your library.
You do not have sufficient subscription credits to add this stream.
If you wish to add this stream immediately, consider upgrading to the unlimited subscription to get immediate access to the full psychotherapy.net streaming library.
Alternatively, you may wait until you receive more stream credits next month.
This exceeds the number of videos you are allowed because you have selected a set or series. If you desperately want to watch these videos now, you can upgrade to the Unlimited Plan. Alternatively, you can select the streams of your choice by clicking on each title separately, and add more titles next month.
It is NOT intended to be:
- viewed in a group or classroom
- shared amongst members or clients of an organization
- purchased by a library, school or university
For any of the uses listed above, you are REQUIRED to purchase a Group License
We reserve the right to cancel orders or terminate service if we suspect any un-authorized usage.
The Group License is appropriate for teaching, training, sharing amongst members of an organization and group viewing. Group Licenses are REQUIRED for orders from universities, colleges, clinics and all organizations and institutions. Most Group License videos come with an Instructor's Manual, which includes complete transcript, discussion questions, role-play exercises and other teaching tools.
Streams: Group Licenses include the right to use in-class or in the organization for the duration of the license purchased.
DVDs: Group Licenses include the right, in perpetuity, to use in-class or in the organization.
Save (up to 30% per CE) by purchasing the DVD and CE Credits at the same time. After placing your order, the CE test and additional reading materials, if any, will be available in your account. After viewing the DVD, you will be able to take the test at your convenience.
If you have purchased a CE package your points will be redeemed at checkout and you will be charged for the price of the DVD only.
Psychotherapy.net offers Continuing Education credits for most of our articles, interviews and videos, at an additional cost. We are approved for home study and online CE Credits for Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals Most associations and boards allow all or part of CE credits to be obtained online or in home study courses. See our CE Approvals List for the detailed list of boards and associations that have approved us.
All tests are taken online, at your own pace. All you need is to set up an account with us—don't worry, we will walk you through the process. As soon as you pass, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion directly from your account and mail it to your board.
Please note that for CE credits associated with videos, you must purchase or have access to the corresponding video.
For more information about our Continuing Education program, read our CE Policy and FAQs.
- View videos instantly.
- Watch as many times as you want.
- Create an account, add selected streams to your shopping cart and check out. You will be able to access and view your videos after completion of your order.
Please note that Individual Licenses cannot be shared with others. This restricted license does not allow for group viewing, teaching, training, or any institutional use. We reserve the right to terminate service if we suspect any unauthorized usage.
Please view our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Streaming allows faculty, staff and students to access our videos anywhere, anytime.
- Institutions are required to sign a contract to access our streaming platform.
- Pricing of video streams is based on number of users. Standard prices start at $150 per year for most videos. 3- year licenses are offered at a significant discount.
- Surcharges will apply for large number of users and multiple locations. Very small organizations can benefit from discounted prices.
- Institutions interested in our whole collection should contact us for special pricing.
- On and off campus access possible via IP address or Proxy Server.
View our About Streaming page for more details.
- Roxanne May, MFT, Mill Valley, CA
This is a welcome learning resource not only for those who may be beginners to this approach but also for those who already have some knowledge of and experience in BSFT. Learning about an approach by watching other therapists practice their craft with real clients is invariably fascinating: having the opportunity to watch the therapists who have contributed so much to the development of this approach made it even more absorbing. The questions from the panel of onlookers at the end provided additional learning and it was very interesting listening to Steve De Shazer and Kim Berg explaining why they made the interjections and asked the questions they did. Well worth watching.
- Pauline Gallagher, Counsellor, UK
• Gain an understanding of the goals of a solution-focused brief therapy approach with couples, and what it means to support, generate and enlarge solutions.
• Learn how to apply solution-focused techniques to your work with couples including finding Exceptions to Problems, the Miracle Question, Scaling, and Amplifying Change.
• Witness Berg’s remarkable ability to connect with challenging clients and inspire them to discover their strengths and resources.
Insoo Kim Berg, MSSW (1934-2007), was co-founder and director of the Brief Family Therapy Center in Milwaukee, WI. She developed the Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) model with her partner, Steve de Shazer. A native of Korea, Insoo balanced her heritage with Western scientific training in her clinical practice and teaching.
Berg served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, Family Psychology and Counseling Series, Families in Society, and Family Process. She was a founder of the Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Association, clinical member and approved supervisor for the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, and was also active in the Wisconsin Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, the National Association of Social Workers, and the European Brief Therapy Association. She was a frequent keynote speaker at international conferences and regularly conducted seminars and workshops on SFBT throughout the U.S., Canada, South America, Asia, and Europe.
A prolific writer, Insoo published eight highly acclaimed books in ten years, including More than Miracles: The State of the Art of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (2007), Tales of Solutions (2001), Building Solutions in Child Protective Services (2000), and Interviewing for Solutions (1997 and 2001, 2nd ed).
See all Insoo Kim Berg videos.
• Observe Berg’s remarkable ability to connect with challenging clients and inspire them to discover their strengths and resources.
• Describe the goals of a solution-focused approach with couples, and explain what it means to support, generate and enlarge solutions.
• Apply solution-focused techniques to your work with couples, including Finding Exceptions to Problems, the Miracle Question, Scaling, and Amplifying Change.