Motivational Interviewing Step by Step: 4-Video Series
Motivational Interviewing, originally developed by William Miller as a person-centered approach to working with addictions, has been widely used in fields as varied as healthcare, education, and criminal justice. In the first video of this highly acclaimed series, Core Concepts, expert MI trainer and practitioner Cathy Cole first introduces the foundational principles; then numerous demonstrations and exercises, including actual session excerpts with Bill Miller, will allow you to practice MI techniques.
Each subsequent video focuses on demonstrating, through a series of vignettes, various MI strategies applied to different stages of change. The client sessions in each video occur in a diverse range of settings, from mandated substance abuse counseling to healthcare, schools, EAP and beyond. Increasing Importance addresses how to help clients who are unsure whether change is even desirable. Resolving Ambivalence tackles a central issue in MI—dealing with clients who haven’t decided which choice is the right one. And Building Confidence focuses on the helping clients trust their own ability to enact the desired change.
It is NOT intended to be:
- viewed in a group or classroom
- shared amongst members or clients of an organization
- purchased by a library, school or university
For any of the uses listed above, you are REQUIRED to purchase a Group License
We reserve the right to cancel orders or terminate service if we suspect any un-authorized usage.
The Group License is appropriate for teaching, training, sharing amongst members of an organization and group viewing. Group Licenses are REQUIRED for orders from universities, colleges, clinics and all organizations and institutions. Most Group License videos come with an Instructor's Manual, which includes complete transcript, discussion questions, role-play exercises and other teaching tools.
Streams: Group Licenses include the right to use in-class or in the organization for the duration of the license purchased.
DVDs: Group Licenses include the right, in perpetuity, to use in-class or in the organization.
Save (up to 30% per CE) by purchasing the DVD and CE Credits at the same time. After placing your order, the CE test and additional reading materials, if any, will be available in your account. After viewing the DVD, you will be able to take the test at your convenience.
If you have purchased a CE package your points will be redeemed at checkout and you will be charged for the price of the DVD only.
Psychotherapy.net offers Continuing Education courses for most of our articles, interviews and videos, at an additional cost. Our Continuing Education courses are approved for home study and online CE Credits for Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals Most associations and boards allow all or part of CE credits to be obtained online or in home study courses. See our CE Approvals List for the detailed list of boards and associations that have approved us.
All tests are taken online, at your own pace. All you need is to set up an account with us—don't worry, we will walk you through the process. As soon as you pass, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion directly from your account and mail it to your board.
Please note that for CE courses associated with videos, you must purchase or have access to the corresponding video.
For more information about our Continuing Education program, read our CE Policy and FAQs.
- View videos instantly.
- Watch as many times as you want.
- Create an account, add selected streams to your shopping cart and check out. You will be able to access and view your videos after completion of your order.
Please note that Individual Licenses cannot be shared with others. This restricted license does not allow for group viewing, teaching, training, or any institutional use. We reserve the right to terminate service if we suspect any unauthorized usage.
Please view our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Streaming allows faculty, staff and students to access our videos anywhere, anytime.
- Institutions are required to sign a contract to access our streaming platform.
- Pricing of video streams is based on number of users. Standard prices start at $150 per year for most videos. 3- year licenses are offered at a significant discount.
- Surcharges will apply for large number of users and multiple locations. Very small organizations can benefit from discounted prices.
- Institutions interested in our whole collection should contact us for special pricing.
- On and off campus access possible via IP address or Proxy Server.
View our About Streaming page for more details.
In this Series...
- Vanya Hamrin, MSN, Professor of Nursing and Psychiatry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.
"This series would likely be a valuable learning tool for both novice and experienced motivational interviewers. For the latter, this series would be valuable as a refresher course. For the former, this series would be a valuable adjunct to formal training and coaching…Cole’s warm and casual presentation style is complemented by series moderator Victor Yalom, PhD. Yalom engages Cole in discussions about core concepts of MI, as well as the MI sessions depicted on each DVD. While seemingly unscripted and casual, these lively discussions provide the viewer with a clear, logical, and linear explanation of MI concepts."
- Julie Schumacher, PhD, Reviewed in Motivational Interviewing: Training, Research, Implementation, and Practice. Read full review
"This video series provides an extremely user friendly approach to understanding and integrating Motivational Interviewing into your professional skill set. I would highly recommend this program for any healthcare provider, including therapists, nurses, physicians, as well as human resource professionals."
- Robbi D. Simons, PhD, Simons & Associates, Employee Assistance and Coaching Services
“Motivational Interviewing Step by Step not only contains examples of Cathy Cole conducting highly skilled Motivational Interviewing; it provides Cole's thoughtful, expert instruction on key concepts and skills. I was particularly impressed with real-time commentary during sessions—I believe this will heighten interest and understanding of the viewer, and no doubt greatly facilitate learning. These videos are a valuable adjunct to the learning of MI.”
- John S. Baer, PhD, Research Professor, Psychology, University of Washington
"An excellent resource for human service professionals in acquiring necessary core competency skills in assessment, therapy, case management, and correctional supervision."
- Robert J. Powitzky, PhD, Chief Mental Health Officer, Oklahoma Department of Corrections
"The series is well produced, informative and helps the viewer form a clear understanding of the motivational interviewing (MI) approach. Within the DVDs there are helpful meta-processing comments regarding the counseling sessions. The accompanying manuals also have wonderfully constructed discussion questions, informational summaries and transcripts of the sessions." Read full review.
- Matthew Mims, NCC, University of Nebraska; Reviewed in The Professional Counselor Journal
Note: Continuing Education (CE) Courses are available with these videos. To order these, you must go the individual pages of each title, and order these separately.