Cognitive Therapy for Weight Loss: A Coaching Session
While Beck bases her approach on the core principles of Cognitive Therapy, the tools and techniques demonstrated in this video can be integrated with many types of therapeutic styles and will be useful to any therapist working with clients with weight issues. Clients with weight issues frequently become caught in a vicious cycle of losing weight and gaining it back, impairing their ability to enjoy their lives fully. At the same time, many therapists struggle with how to be helpful to these clients.
(what's this?) 1.0 CREDIT
Required: watch video (sold separately)
It is NOT intended to be:
- viewed in a group or classroom
- shared amongst members or clients of an organization
- purchased by a library, school or university
For any of the uses listed above, you are REQUIRED to purchase a Group License
We reserve the right to cancel orders or terminate service if we suspect any un-authorized usage.
The Group License is appropriate for teaching, training, sharing amongst members of an organization and group viewing. Group Licenses are REQUIRED for orders from universities, colleges, clinics and all organizations and institutions. Most Group License videos come with an Instructor's Manual, which includes complete transcript, discussion questions, role-play exercises and other teaching tools.
Streams: Group Licenses include the right to use in-class or in the organization for the duration of the license purchased.
DVDs: Group Licenses include the right, in perpetuity, to use in-class or in the organization.
Save (up to 30% per CE) by purchasing the DVD and CE Credits at the same time. After placing your order, the CE test and additional reading materials, if any, will be available in your account. After viewing the DVD, you will be able to take the test at your convenience.
If you have purchased a CE package your points will be redeemed at checkout and you will be charged for the price of the DVD only.
Psychotherapy.net offers Continuing Education courses for most of our articles, interviews and videos, at an additional cost. Our Continuing Education courses are approved for home study and online CE Credits for Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals Most associations and boards allow all or part of CE credits to be obtained online or in home study courses. See our CE Approvals List for the detailed list of boards and associations that have approved us.
All tests are taken online, at your own pace. All you need is to set up an account with us—don't worry, we will walk you through the process. As soon as you pass, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion directly from your account and mail it to your board.
Please note that for CE courses associated with videos, you must purchase or have access to the corresponding video.
For more information about our Continuing Education program, read our CE Policy and FAQs.
- View videos instantly.
- Watch as many times as you want.
- Create an account, add selected streams to your shopping cart and check out. You will be able to access and view your videos after completion of your order.
Please note that Individual Licenses cannot be shared with others. This restricted license does not allow for group viewing, teaching, training, or any institutional use. We reserve the right to terminate service if we suspect any unauthorized usage.
Please view our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Streaming allows faculty, staff and students to access our videos anywhere, anytime.
- Institutions are required to sign a contract to access our streaming platform.
- Pricing of video streams is based on number of users. Standard prices start at $150 per year for most videos. 3- year licenses are offered at a significant discount.
- Surcharges will apply for large number of users and multiple locations. Very small organizations can benefit from discounted prices.
- Institutions interested in our whole collection should contact us for special pricing.
- On and off campus access possible via IP address or Proxy Server.
View our About Streaming page for more details.
- Dennis Greenberger, PhD, Co–author (with Christine Padesky PhD) of Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing The Way You Think
"What a wonderful training video! This DVD testifies to both Beck's amazing ability and competence, as well as to Yalom's interviewing and DVD making skills. … Not only do I recommend this DVD for many reasons, but I also lost 15 lbs. after viewing it. I believe this time I'll be able to keep the weight off, and can also now be more helpful with others and their weight issues."
- John D. Lentz, D. Min., reviewed in The Milton H. Erickson Foundation Newsletter
"As an experienced CBT practitioner, I found that this video really helped me refocus my behavioral change efforts for dieters. Judith Beck superbly teaches therapists how to help clients learn cognitive skills about countering self-criticism, creating motivation, and enabling regular pleasurable eating within a diet. Her emphasis on teaching these skills prior to actual dieting was particularly useful. I heartily recommend this to all therapists who wish to improve their effectiveness with this population."
-Ted Gradman, PhD, Licensed Psychologist, San Mateo, CA
• Learn Beck's approach to weight loss and maintenance, including the specific techniques used to help people lose weight and keep it off.
• Be able to identify common pitfalls dieters face and Beck's recommendations for preventing these pitfalls.
• Learn how to structure an initial session with a client who wants to lose weight.
• Describe Beck’s approach to weight loss and maintenance, including the specific techniques used to help people lose weight and keep it off.
• Identify common pitfalls dieters face and Beck’s recommendations for preventing these pitfalls.
• Explain how a clinician employing Beck’s approach would conduct an initial session with a client who wants to lose weight.