Emotionally Focused Therapy in Action
Johnson first consults with Matt and Rhea’s couples therapist, aided by video clips from prior sessions. Then you’ll see Johnson work with this couple in a brilliant demonstration of the subtlety and efficacy of EFT. In a single session, she helps them conceptualize their conflicts in attachment terms, gain an understanding of their negative cycle, and begin to reveal some of the vulnerable feelings that underlie their explosive anger. Commentary before, during, and after the consultation and session provides insight into her approach.
(what's this?) 6.0 CREDITS
Required: watch video (sold separately) and read downloadable chapter
It is NOT intended to be:
- viewed in a group or classroom
- shared amongst members or clients of an organization
- purchased by a library, school or university
For any of the uses listed above, you are REQUIRED to purchase a Group License
We reserve the right to cancel orders or terminate service if we suspect any un-authorized usage.
The Group License is appropriate for teaching, training, sharing amongst members of an organization and group viewing. Group Licenses are REQUIRED for orders from universities, colleges, clinics and all organizations and institutions. Most Group License videos come with an Instructor's Manual, which includes complete transcript, discussion questions, role-play exercises and other teaching tools.
Streams: Group Licenses include the right to use in-class or in the organization for the duration of the license purchased.
DVDs: Group Licenses include the right, in perpetuity, to use in-class or in the organization.
Save (up to 30% per CE) by purchasing the DVD and CE Credits at the same time. After placing your order, the CE test and additional reading materials, if any, will be available in your account. After viewing the DVD, you will be able to take the test at your convenience.
If you have purchased a CE package your points will be redeemed at checkout and you will be charged for the price of the DVD only.
Psychotherapy.net offers Continuing Education courses for most of our articles, interviews and videos, at an additional cost. Our Continuing Education courses are approved for home study and online CE Credits for Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals Most associations and boards allow all or part of CE credits to be obtained online or in home study courses. See our CE Approvals List for the detailed list of boards and associations that have approved us.
All tests are taken online, at your own pace. All you need is to set up an account with us—don't worry, we will walk you through the process. As soon as you pass, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion directly from your account and mail it to your board.
Please note that for CE courses associated with videos, you must purchase or have access to the corresponding video.
For more information about our Continuing Education program, read our CE Policy and FAQs.
- View videos instantly.
- Watch as many times as you want.
- Create an account, add selected streams to your shopping cart and check out. You will be able to access and view your videos after completion of your order.
Please note that Individual Licenses cannot be shared with others. This restricted license does not allow for group viewing, teaching, training, or any institutional use. We reserve the right to terminate service if we suspect any unauthorized usage.
Please view our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Streaming allows faculty, staff and students to access our videos anywhere, anytime.
- Institutions are required to sign a contract to access our streaming platform.
- Pricing of video streams is based on number of users. Standard prices start at $150 per year for most videos. 3- year licenses are offered at a significant discount.
- Surcharges will apply for large number of users and multiple locations. Very small organizations can benefit from discounted prices.
- Institutions interested in our whole collection should contact us for special pricing.
- On and off campus access possible via IP address or Proxy Server.
View our About Streaming page for more details.
- William J. Doherty, PhD, Professor and Director of the Couples on the Brink Project, University of Minnesota; Author of The Intentional Family, and Soul Searching: Why Psychotherapy Must Promote Moral Responsibility
An outstanding example of how to conduct state-of-the-art, evidence-based couples therapy; should be required viewing for all clinicians who work with couples in which a partner has returned from war. Quite simply, this is the best training video in our field I have ever seen.
- Keith Armstrong, LCSW, Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF; Co-Author of Courage After Fire: Coping Strategies for Troops Returning from War and their Families
"Emotionally Focused Therapy in Action provides a valuable resource for novice and experienced couples therapist alike; it especially speaks to clinicians who are responding to the legacy of trauma. Further, this video provides an excellent resource for educators who teach the art and science of EFTC."
- Jennifer Fitzgerald, PhD, Reviewed in Psychotherapy in Australia
"Watching her [Johnson] work on the second video with a military couple was like being entranced by a prima ballerina...People talk and write about the 'therapeutic alliance,' but to see this in action I recommend watching Sue Johnson. Not only did I learn about EFT from these DVDs, it was an emotionally heartwarming experience."
- Rubin Battino, MS, Reviewed in The Milton H. Erickson Newsletter
With her unique combination of compassion, clinical mastery, and theoretical brilliance, Dr. Sue Johnson makes sense of a couple's distress in terms of their individual attachment needs, and demonstrates how therapists can effectively navigate the complex emotional world of a couple in conflict through EFT. This video will be an integral part of couple's therapy training at my clinic and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their clinical skills with couples.
- Julie Hanks, LCSW, Director of Wasatch Family Therapy, UT
"Overall, the video set and instructor manual offer a package that illustrates EFT for couples in a theoretically and pragmatically comprehensive fashion. The production quality is top-notch. The combination of the initial interview with Johnson, the consultation with the couple’s current therapist, Johnson’s session with the couple, and the afterword with Yalom makes this package an excellent instructional resource. At the same time, the depth of content and contemporary focus of the material will also make the package worthwhile viewing for experienced professionals as well."
- Nancy Murdock, PhD & Adam Hinshaw, Reviewed in APA PsycCRITIQUES
"Overall, Emotionally Focused Therapy in Action is a well produced, informative, and humanizing view into an extremely important couple's treatment that has research proven results."
- Samuel Gladding, PhD, Past-President, American Counseling Assoc; reviewed in The Professional Counselor: Research and Practice
By watching this video you’ll learn:
• The core theory and principles of EFT;
• How to help couples identify the negative cycles that keep them stuck;
• Specific techniques to help clients access the primary emotions that drive their conflicts, including reframing, amplification, “relentless empathy,” and enactments.
Dr. Sue Johnson is one of the originators and the main proponent of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT), now one of the best validated couples interventions in North America. She is Director of the Ottawa (Canada) Couple and Family Institute and the International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy as well as Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Ottawa and Research Professor at Alliant University in San Diego, California.
She has received numerous honors for her work, including the Outstanding Contribution to the Field of Couple and Family Therapy Award from the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and the Research in Family Therapy Award from the American Family Therapy Academy. She is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association.
She received her doctorate in Counseling Psychology from the University of British Columbia in 1984. She is a registered psychologist in the province of Ontario, Canada, and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, the Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy and the Journal of Family Psychology. She is a Research Professor in the Marital & Family Therapy Program at Alliant University in San Diego.
Her 2004 book (2nd Ed), The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy: Creating Connection (Brunner Rouledge) is a foundational text on EFT for couples. She is the senior editor of the 2003 book, Attachment Processes in Couples Therapy (Guilford Press), and the 1994 book, The Heart of the Matter (Guilford Press). She has also written a book on trauma and couples, Focused Couple Therapy with Trauma Survivors (2002).
She trains counselors in EFT worldwide and consults to Veterans Affairs, the U.S. and Canadian military and New York City Fire Department. Sue is an Approved Supervisor for the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy and is internationally known for her workshops and presentations on practice, theory and research in couple therapy, adult attachment and emotion in psychotherapy. She maintains a private practice and lives in Ottawa, Canada, with her husband and two children.
To contact Dr. Johnson and learn more about her work, visit her website and The International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy.
• Learn the core theory and principles of EFT
• Understand how to help couples identify the negative cycles that keep them stuck
• Discover specific techniques to help clients access the primary emotions that drive their conflicts, including reframing, amplification, “relentless empathy,” and enactments.