PTSD and Veterans: A Conversation with Dr. Frank Ochberg
Mental health practitioners treat a variety of clients coping with trauma. Dr. Ochberg points out that we can draw on these experiences to treat veterans returning from war, as he shares his insights regarding common symptoms to look out for and the importance of building trust and other aspects of the patient-therapist relationship. He then explains techniques he has developed that help his clients work through the trauma and adapt to civilian life. Ultimately, Dr. Ochberg delivers a message of hope: Although the damaging impact of PTSD is severe, it remains completely treatable by those who are up to the challenge, and it is a privilege for all therapists to work with these brave men and women.
(what's this?) 1.0 CREDIT
Required: watch video (sold separately)
Your subscription is currently suspended due to an expired or invalid credit card. Please visit your account and update your credit card info.
This stream was successfully added to your library!
This stream is already in your library.
You do not have sufficient subscription credits to add this stream.
If you wish to add this stream immediately, consider upgrading to the unlimited subscription to get immediate access to the full psychotherapy.net streaming library.
Alternatively, you may wait until you receive more stream credits next month.
This exceeds the number of videos you are allowed because you have selected a set or series. If you desperately want to watch these videos now, you can upgrade to the Unlimited Plan. Alternatively, you can select the streams of your choice by clicking on each title separately, and add more titles next month.
It is NOT intended to be:
- viewed in a group or classroom
- shared amongst members or clients of an organization
- purchased by a library, school or university
For any of the uses listed above, you are REQUIRED to purchase a Group License
We reserve the right to cancel orders or terminate service if we suspect any un-authorized usage.
The Group License is appropriate for teaching, training, sharing amongst members of an organization and group viewing. Group Licenses are REQUIRED for orders from universities, colleges, clinics and all organizations and institutions. Most Group License videos come with an Instructor's Manual, which includes complete transcript, discussion questions, role-play exercises and other teaching tools.
Streams: Group Licenses include the right to use in-class or in the organization for the duration of the license purchased.
DVDs: Group Licenses include the right, in perpetuity, to use in-class or in the organization.
Save (up to 30% per CE) by purchasing the DVD and CE Credits at the same time. After placing your order, the CE test and additional reading materials, if any, will be available in your account. After viewing the DVD, you will be able to take the test at your convenience.
If you have purchased a CE package your points will be redeemed at checkout and you will be charged for the price of the DVD only.
Psychotherapy.net offers Continuing Education credits for most of our articles, interviews and videos, at an additional cost. We are approved for home study and online CE Credits for Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals Most associations and boards allow all or part of CE credits to be obtained online or in home study courses. See our CE Approvals List for the detailed list of boards and associations that have approved us.
All tests are taken online, at your own pace. All you need is to set up an account with us—don't worry, we will walk you through the process. As soon as you pass, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion directly from your account and mail it to your board.
Please note that for CE credits associated with videos, you must purchase or have access to the corresponding video.
For more information about our Continuing Education program, read our CE Policy and FAQs.
- View videos instantly.
- Watch as many times as you want.
- Create an account, add selected streams to your shopping cart and check out. You will be able to access and view your videos after completion of your order.
Please note that Individual Licenses cannot be shared with others. This restricted license does not allow for group viewing, teaching, training, or any institutional use. We reserve the right to terminate service if we suspect any unauthorized usage.
Please view our Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Streaming allows faculty, staff and students to access our videos anywhere, anytime.
- Institutions are required to sign a contract to access our streaming platform.
- Pricing of video streams is based on number of users. Standard prices start at $150 per year for most videos. 3- year licenses are offered at a significant discount.
- Surcharges will apply for large number of users and multiple locations. Very small organizations can benefit from discounted prices.
- Institutions interested in our whole collection should contact us for special pricing.
- On and off campus access possible via IP address or Proxy Server.
View our About Streaming page for more details.
-- David Read Johnson, PhD & Hadar Lubin, MD, Directors, Post Traumatic Stress Center, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine
"If you want to greatly increase your knowledge and skills in working with veterans and PTSD, this is the DVD to watch. Dr. Ochberg is my idea of an ideal therapist: warm, wise, genuine and non-judgmental."
-- Elizabeth Casey, MFT, Redlands, CA
In watching PTSD and Veterans, A Conversation with Frank Ochberg MD, and interviewed by reporter, Mike Walters, you get more than you might expect…The further you get into it, the more you realize you are being offered an incredible gift. Ochberg affirms for therapists how all of us deal with trauma in general, and he normalizes the problem of soldiers with PTSD in a way that empowers therapists to help them …He has a wonderfully affirming approach that leads you to feel good before he introduces material that is more emotionally difficult…I recommend this DVD to anyone treating PTSD, and especially to those dealing with returning soldiers.
-- John D. Lentz, D. Min, reviewed in The Milton H. Erickson Foundation Newsletter
• Unique challenges to treating veterans
• Therapist’s experience and ability to absorb client’s traumatic stories
• Common symptoms of PTSD including the loss of emotional tone, remittent depression, and family issues.
• Special circumstances including military sexual trauma and multiple deployments
• The critical importance of trust-building and other aspects of the patient/therapist relationship
• Techniques to help veterans work through trauma including the Counting Method
See all Frank Ochberg videos.
• Describe unique challenges to treating veterans and important aspects of the therapist/patient relationship
• Discuss common symptoms of PTSD including the loss of emotional tone, remittent depression, and family issues.
• Explain key aspects of special circumstances including military sexual trauma and multiple deployments
• Describe techniques to help veterans work through trauma including the Counting Method